Friday, April 15, 2016

The Shock of Night ~ A Book Review


The Darkwater claims all who enter it.

And yet here is Willet Dura. Somehow he's escaped it, the lone survivor of a company of soldiers to escape it. Now plagued with sleep walking, (or so he believes it to be,) he is haunted by the things he cannot recall.

Head reeve to the King of Bunard in a world divided by those with gifts and those without, Willet is tasked with solving the mysterious murder of two men - a simple guard and the man he serves. But as the priest is dying, he grasps Willet and screams in a strange tongue. He dies without explaining. 

Now Willet is back to the task of solving the murders. As more and more people show up dead, he discovers a new power to see into the deepest, darkest thoughts of those he touches. Digging deeper, Willet discovers he is now one of the gifted - with a gift that shouldn't exist. 

Join Willet as he strives to solve the murders of those around him and come to grips with his new and potential deadly gift. 

♥♥♥

Patrick Carr is one of my all time favorite fantasy writers! Like, seriously his book Cast of Stones was captivating on so many levels! 

That said, when I saw this book on the Book Club Network I was ecstatic! 

I was slightly less so when I saw the font! 


It is a super duper tiny font that made the book daunting for those of us having a hard time focusing. Add that to the fact that the book is already 450 pages and it makes it quite a heavy read! 

But despite that, I still was enthralled with the premise and twist in The Shock of Night. Nothing is as it seems. While the back of the book seems to tell you exactly what will  happen, the characters and settings take on a whole new meaning as more and more facts come to light. 

The characters were so refreshing! Willet Dura and Gale, his fiance, were fun and witty. The description of the little pickpockets followed nicely with the Prequel Novella I read a few months back. 

All and all, Patrick W, Carr has introduced us to a whole new world of good versus evil and I have to applaud him! 

I give this book a 4/5! Bravo Mr Carr! I can't wait for the sequel to The Shock of Night!

I was given this book by the Book Club Network for my honest review, which I have given. 



No comments:

Post a Comment